Below you will find our recent posts with the latest first..
- Legal Week Connect 29-30 November 2017
Neil is chairing the IT stream at this year’s Legal Week CONNECT next week..
For the exciting program see: www.legalweekconnect.com. I still have a few complementary tickets for those that email me quickly…
- News Round-Up
We went to the latest US Legal Week Strategic IT Forum in San Diego in October 2017 – this is growing in attendees year on year and proving to be a key US legal IT event
- Before that in August it was ILTACON at Las Vegas, where Neil gave a session on the progress of the AI Matters fee-forecasting technology being developed in partnership with iManage RAVN
- In June there was the Legal Week Strategic Technology Forum in Lake Maggiore, Italy – one of the best ever locations for this key annual European conference. See highlights of this conference and previous years, including Neil’s contributions here and here
- Of course the year began with LegalTech in New York
- iManage Work 10/White Rabbit
Although snow-bound on the East Coast at the moment, thus missing a scheduled demonstration of the new iManage software and the British Legal Technology Forum, I managed to piggy-back on 90-minute demonstration at a Chicago law firm last week.Geoff and the guys had kept me up to date over the last 18 months or so, but after all the talk this was a good look at the newly released software.In summary, it looks good – very good. I was particular taken by the following areas of functionality:
The new software also supports concurrent document co-authorship (utilising OneDrive), which is a neat trick as the very concept of ‘checking-out’ a document is fundamentally inimical to multiple access. Shortly, we will also have the ability to store Microsoft OneNote objects in iManage client/matter folders – a great facility for Tablet note-makers.But, my favourite single new killer development is the ability (for OCD lawyers who insist on maintaining their own set of Outlook folders) to link those personal folders with proper shared iManage client/matter folders and keep them in synch – brilliant idea!
- much improved search and search results display function
- new ‘Smart Work Lists’ provide one-click access to recent clients, matters or engagements, emails and documents
- new indication in lists of changed versions
- improved auto-filing
- new audit trail ‘timelines’
- much improved viewer, especially for mobile devices
- same interface on all devices
- Verein – what is it good for?
- ILTACON 2016
Neil is at the world’s largest legal IT conference in Washington DC next week; talking about new approaches to Cost Benefit Analysis for IT projects.
No; it’s not boring!
- Microsoft Surface Book; In-Depth Review
Overpriced bling silicon, or the best thing since sliced bread?
My summary: after months of teething problems, most of which are now fixed, and the Surface Book has revealed its true self – the best PC (Tablet or otherwise) that I have ever owned.
- Blog #25: Guns and the 2nd Amendment
“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed”
Why is this in the Bill of Rights?
- Legal Week video interview
- Blog #24: Windows 10 – “Should I?”
Microsoft’s new version of Windows launched last Friday, and amazingly was installed on 14 million devices in the first 24 hours – having a noticeable impact of global Internet traffic.
- Validatum Global Pricing Conference
The first such conference, it was attended by some 140 delegates from top 200 law firms. Despite the hotel’s air-conditioning initially struggling with the sweltering heat a wide range of topics were covered to the evident and appreciative satisfaction of the audience: see the agenda here.
Don’t worry if you missed it; there will be another one next year…
- Validatum Global Pricing Conference
Neil is speaking tomorrow at the Validatum Global Best Practice Pricing Conference at the City Grange Hotel, on the technology aspects of matter costing and pricing…
- Legal Week Strategic Technology Forum 2015 Closes
The 2015 Legal Week STF has just finished. This photo was taken at the Gala Dinner last night. Great venue at the Penha Longa Hotel, great agenda and speakers and wonderful food and wine.
- Blog #23: sharedo by slicedbread
Last September I went to Keoghs to get a thorough briefing on their Tracker system – a full report of which is to be found here, and which provides a good introduction to this Blog. slicedbread has been working since then to develop a more generic case management system for law firms.
- Blog #22: Profile of Riverview Law
I finally had an opportunity to take up a long-standing invitation from the estimable Riverview COO Adam Shutkever to go up and see Riverview Law in action last week. Apart from anything else, I had a new Senior Railcard to play with, and got an excellent First Class return deal from Virgin Trains.
- Neil to Chair this year’s Legal Week Strategic Technology Forum
Last year’s Legal Week Strategic Technology Forum 2014 was seen as a great success; so why break up a winning team? The 2015 event is returning to what everyone agrees was the best ever venue – the Ritz-Carlton at Penha Longa in Sintra outside Lisbon in Portugal – and to last year’s Chairman – Neil Cameron.
For this year’s amazing agenda follow the link to the Legal Week Strategic Technology Forum 2015 pages. We hope to see you there…